This Hi-Speed USB device with Type-C/PD 3.0 controller IC fully supports the latest USB Type-C and Power Delivery (PD) standards enabling support for power negotiation with the ability to sink or source current to a USB host device.
This has one Dual-role PD port (PD port 1) which also carries the USB data communication. This can switch between the roles of sinking power from the host to power the peripheral, and sourcing power to charge the host computer.
A second included PD port (PD port 2) is a power sink and can be used to connect an external power source/charger. This can provide power to the peripheral board as well as charging the host via PD port 1.
Operating at USB Hi-Speed 480Mbps rate, this fast single channel bridge chip features either a flexible serial interface or parallel FIFO interface, with data transfer speeds up to 40Mbytes/s. Using a serial EEPROM interface, this device can be configured for a wide variety of asynchronous and synchronous serial standards, such as JTAG, SPI, I2C and UART as well as synchronous and asynchronous parallel FIFO interfaces. In addition, this device features a synchronous, half-duplex FT1248 bus, which allows an engineer to trade off bandwidth for pin count using 1, 2, 4, or 8 data lines at up to 30Mbytes/s. The I/O structure is 3.3V with built-in tolerance for 5V, allowing the designer maximum flexibility when interfacing with FPGAs. On-board voltage regulation provides 3.3V and 1.8V supplies from a 5V source, as well as a power-on-reset function.
FTDI provides royalty-free Virtual Com Port (VCP) and D2XX drivers for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. This 64 pin device is available in QFN packaging, and is ROHS compliant.
To join the discussion please go to our community pages here
Key Hardware Features
- Supports PD Specification 3.0.
- 1 x USB PD 3.0 Port supports Dual Role Swap Function
- Supports 5V3A, 9V3A, 12V3A, 15V3A, 20V3A and more PDOs as sink or source.
- Type-C/PD Physical Layer Protocol.
- PD policy engine using 32-bit RISC controller with 8kB data RAM and 48kB code ROM.
- PD mode configuration through external EEPROM.
- Options to use external MCU controlling PD policy through I2C interface.
- Up to 8 Configurable PD GPIO pins support.
- External MCU support through I2C bus.
- External EEPROM support for USB device configuration and PD profile.
- Single channel USB to serial / parallel ports with a variety of configurations.
- Entire USB protocol handled on the chip. No USB specific firmware programming required.
- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed (480Mbits/Second) and Full Speed (12Mbits/Second) compatible.
- Multi-Protocol Synchronous Serial Engine (MPSSE) to simplify synchronous serial protocol (USB to JTAG, I2C, SPI or bit-bang) design.
- UART transfer data rate up to 12Mbaud. (RS232 Data Rate limited by external level shifter).
- USB to asynchronous 245 FIFO mode for transfer data rate up to 8 MByte/Sec.
- USB to synchronous 245 parallel FIFO mode for transfers up to 40 Mbytes/Sec
- Supports a half duplex FT1248 interface with a configurable width, bi-directional data bus (1, 2, 4 or 8 bits wide).
- CPU-style FIFO interface mode simplifies CPU interface design.
- Fast serial interface option.
- FTDI’s royalty-free Virtual Com Port (VCP) and Direct (D2XX) drivers eliminate the requirement for USB driver development in most cases.
- Adjustable receive buffer timeout.
- Option for transmit and receive LED drive signals.
- Bit-bang Mode interface option with RD# and WR# strobes
- Highly integrated design includes 5V to 3.3/+1.8V LDO regulator for VCORE, integrated POR function
- Asynchronous serial UART interface option with full hardware handshaking and modem interface signals.
- Fully assisted hardware or X-On / X-Off software handshaking.
- UART Interface supports 7/8 bit data, 1/2 stop bits, and Odd/Even/Mark/Space/No Parity.
- Auto-transmit enable control for RS485 serial applications using TXDEN pin.
- Operation configuration mode and USB Description strings configurable in external EEPROM over the USB interface.
- Configurable I/O drives strength (4, 8, 12 or 16mA) and slew rate.
- Low operating and USB suspend current.
- Supports self powered, bus powered and high-power bus powered USB configurations
- UHCI/OHCI/EHCI host controller compatible.
- USB Bulk data transfer mode (512 byte packets in Hi-Speed mode).
- +1.8V (chip core) and +3.3V I/O interfacing (+5V Tolerant).
- Extended -40°C to 85°C industrial operating temperature range.
- Compact 56-pin Lead Free QFN package
- Configurable ACBUS I/O pins.
Partial, Tube or Reel
|Part No:||FT233HPQ (qty 1-259)||Package Type:||Partial (Cut Tape)|
|Part No:||FT233HPQ (qty 260-2600)||Package Type:||TRAY|
|Part No:||FT233HPQ(qty >=3000)||Package Type:||REEL|
- USB Type-C/USB 3.0 Power Delivery Support
- High-power application via USB PD and/or Type-C port
- Get power from USB device functions, e.g. portable USB host needs charging when USB is connected.
- Single chip USB to UART (RS232, RS422 or RS485)
- USB to FIFO
- USB to FT1248
- USB to JTAG
- USB to SPI
- USB to I2C
- USB to Bit-Bang
- USB to Fast Serial Interface
- USB to CPU target interface (as memory)
- USB Instrumentation
- USB Industrial Control
- USB EPOS Control
- USB MP3 Player Interface
- USB FLASH Card Reader / Writers
- Set Top Box – USB interface
- USB Digital Camera Interface
- USB Bar Code Readers