VMUSIC3 is a USB host and MP3/WMA Player application module with an enclosure.
The default firmware of the VMUSIC3 supports audio playback and UART/SPI communications with the embedded USB host controller and USB host port. VMusic3 can be used to read MP3 and other audio format files from a USB flash disk process the data and output the stereo audio through the line-out header and headphone jack.
VMusic3 is designed to support quick and easy integration of a UART/SPI application with a USB client device.
VMusic3 also supports playback of MP3 and WMA. The VMUSIC3 is packaged in a neat enclosure displaying a bi colour LED, making it suitable for incorporating into finished product designs.
The VMUSIC3 utilizes FTDI’s Vinculum-II (VNC248L1B) dual USB host controller IC.
This IC is a microcontroller and USB host controller; it can be reprogrammed using the UART interface or the Vinculum-II debugger module interface connecter.
The default firmware used is V2MSC, this firmware supports the UART/SPI to USB host interface and MP3 playback.
This firmware can be modified or replace with another firmware.
The VMUSIC3 also utilizes VLSI Solution’s VS1053b compressed audio codec to provide the audio play back feature.
This chip operates with the Vinculum-II and supporting firmware when reading MP3 and WMA files from a USB flash drive.
The VS1053b processes this data and outputs the stereo audio to the headphone jack and line-out header.
Connecting headphones or speakers to either of these ports transduces the audio data into sound.
VMUSIC3 has the following features:
- MP3 and WMA playback
- Vinculum-II microcontroller/USB host controller IC.
- USB “A” type socket to connect to USB client devices.
- 2mm (0.08”) pitch 8 pin header used for the UART/SPI interface.
- Connects directly and communicates with a FTDI TTL-232R-3V3-2mm USB-UART cable.
- Jumper selectable UART and SPI interfaces, both operating 3.3V TTL/CMOS.
- Pre-programmed with V2MSC firmware.
- Vinculum-II debugger module port under the enclosure, for changing the firmware and debugging.
- UART programming mode control pins PROG# and RESET# are connected to an internal header.
- Reprogrammable over USB Port from flash drive.
- The VMusic3 and all components used are Pb-free (RoHS compliant).