FT245RNQ – USB FIFO IC
The FT245RNQ is a USB to parallel FIFO interface, with the new FTDIChip-ID™ security dongle feature. In addition, asynchronous and synchronous bit bang interface modes are available. USB to parallel designs using the FT245RNQ have been further simplified by fully integrating the external EEPROM, clock circuit and USB resistors onto the device.
The FT245RNQ is the latest device to be added to FTDI’s range of USB FIFO interface Integrated Circuit Devices.
The FT245RNQ adds a new function compared with its predecessors, effectively making it a “2-in-1” chip for some application areas. A unique number (the FTDIChip-ID™) is burnt into the device during manufacture and is readable over USB, thus forming the basis of a security dongle which can be used to protect customer application software from being copied.
The FT245RNQ is available in Pb-free (RoHS compliant) compact 28-Lead SSOP and QFN-32 packages.
Press releases, articles and web links related to the FT245RNQ can be found here.
A frequently asked questions page has been created here.
Key Hardware Features
- Single chip USB to parallel FIFO bidirectional data transfer interface.
- Entire USB protocol handled on the chip – No USB-specific firmware programming required.
- Simple interface to MCU / PLD / FPGA logic with simple 4-wire handshake interface.
- Data transfer rate to 1 Megabyte / second – D2XX Direct Drivers.
- Data transfer rate to 300 kilobyte / second – VCP Drivers.
- FTDI’s royalty-free VCP and D2XX drivers eliminate the requirement for USB driver development in most cases.
- New USB FTDIChip-ID™ feature.
- FIFO receive and transmit buffers for high data throughput.
- 256 Byte receive buffer and 128 Byte transmit buffer utilizing buffer smoothing technology to allow for high data throughput.
- Adjustable receive buffer timeout.
- Synchronous and asynchronous bit bang mode interface options with RD# and WR# strobes allow the data bus to be used as a general purpose I/O port.
- Integrated 1024 bit internal EEPROM for storing USB VID, PID, serial number and product description strings.
- Device supplied preprogrammed with unique USB serial number.
- Support for USB suspend / resume through PWREN# pin and Wake Up pin function.
- In-built support for event characters.
- Support for bus powered, self powered, and high-power bus powered USB configurations.
- Integrated 3.3V level converter for USB I/O .
- Integrated level converter on FIFO interface and control pins for interfacing to 5V – 1.8V Logic.
- True 5V / 3.3V / 2.8V / 1.8V CMOS drive output and TTL input.
- High I/O pin output drive option.
- Integrated USB resistors.
- Integrated power-on-reset circuit.
- Fully integrated clock – no external crystal, oscillator, or resonator required.
- Fully integrated AVCC supply filtering – No separate AVCC pin and no external R-C filter required.
- USB bulk transfer mode.
- 3.3V to 5.25V Single Supply Operation.
- Low operating and USB suspend current.
- Low USB bandwidth consumption.
- UHCI / OHCI / EHCI host controller compatible.
- USB 2.0 Full Speed compatible.
- -40°C to 85°C extended operating temperature range.
- Available in compact Pb-free 28 Pin SSOP and QFN-32 packages (both RoHS compliant).
Partial, Tray or Reel
|Part No:||FT245RNQ (qty 1-489)||Package Type:||Partial (Cut Tape)|
|Part No:||FT245RNQ-T (qty 490-5999)||Package Type:||TRAY|
|Part No:||FT245RNQ-R (qty >=6000)||Package Type:||REEL|
- Upgrading Legacy Peripherals to USB
- Cellular and Cordless Phone USB data transfer cables and interfaces
- Interfacing MCU / PLD / FPGA based designs to USB
- USB Audio and Low Bandwidth Video data transfer
- PDA to USB data transfer
- USB Smart Card Readers
- USB Instrumentation
- USB Industrial Control
- USB MP3 Player Interface
- USB FLASH Card Reader / Writers
- Set Top Box PC – USB interface
- USB Digital Camera Interface
- USB Hardware Modems
- USB Wireless Modems
- USB Bar Code Readers
- USB Software / Hardware Encryption Dongles