FT234XD – Full Speed USB to Basic UART
This USB2.0 Full Speed IC offers a basic UART to USB bridge in a compact IC package; 3x3mm footprint in a 12 pin, DFN package. The device is a UART, capable of operating up to 3MBaud, with low power consumption (8mA). The FT234XD includes the complete FT-X series feature set, including battery charging detection and enables USB to be added into a system design quickly and easily over a UART interface
Key Hardware Features
- Single chip USB to asynchronous serial data transfer interface.
- Entire USB protocol handled on the chip. No USB specific firmware programming required.
- Fully integrated 2048 byte EEPROM for storing device descriptors and CBUS I/O configuration.
- Fully integrated clock generation with no external crystal required plus optional clock output selection enabling a glue-less interface to external MCU or FPGA.
- Data transfer rates from 300 baud to 3 Mbaud.
- 512 byte receive buffer and 512 byte transmit buffer utilizing buffer smoothing technology to allow for high data throughput.
- FTDI’s royalty-free Virtual Com Port (VCP) and Direct (D2XX) drivers eliminate the requirement for USB driver development in most cases.
- Configurable CBUS I/O pins.
- Transmit and receive LED drive signals.
- UART interface support for 7 or 8 data bits, 1 or 2 stop bits and odd / even / mark / space / no parity
- Synchronous and asynchronous bit bang interface options with RD# and WR# strobes.
- Battery Charger Detection. May be used by mobile devices to detect the presence of a charger on the USB port to enable higher current / faster charging of batteries.
- Device supplied pre-programmed with unique USB serial number.
- Supports bus powered, self powered and high-power bus powered USB configurations.
- Integrated +3.3V level converter for USB I/O.
- True 3.3V CMOS drive output and TTL input.
- (operates down to 1V8 with external pull ups and is also 5V tolerant)
- Configurable I/O pin output drive strength.
- Integrated power-on-reset circuit.
- UART signal inversion option.
- Internal 3.3V/1.8V LDO regulators
- Low operating current of 8mA (typical) and USB suspend current of 125uA (typical) current.
- Low USB bandwidth consumption.
- UHCI/OHCI/EHCI host controller compatible.
- USB 2.0 Full Speed compatible.
- Extended operating temperature range: -40°C to 85°C
- Available in compact Pb-free 12 Pin DFN package (RoHS compliant).
Partial, Tray or Reel
|Part No:||FT234XD (qty 1-489)||Package Type:||Partial (Cut Tape)|
|Part No:||FT234XD-T (qty 490-4999)||Package Type:||TRAY|
|Part No:||FT234XD-R (qty >=5000)||Package Type:||REEL|
- USB to RS232/RS422/RS485 Converters
- Upgrading Legacy Peripherals to USB
- Cellular and Cordless Phone USB data transfer cables and interfaces
- Interfacing MCU/PLD/FPGA based designs to USB
- USB Audio and Low Bandwidth Video data transfer
- PDA to USB data transfer
- USB Smart Card Readers
- USB Instrumentation
- USB Industrial Control
- USB MP3 Player Interface
- USB FLASH Card Reader and Writers
- Set Top Box PC – USB interface
- USB Digital Camera Interface
- USB Hardware Modems
- USB Wireless Modems
- USB Bar Code Readers
- Dedicated Charger Port (DCP) detection enabling battery charging at higher current for faster charge times.